30 Years Of Experience Makes a Difference

5 birth conditions to prompt medical action

On Behalf of | May 1, 2022 | Birth Injuries

During approximately nine months of pregnancy, a woman will typically visit an obstetrician or midwife many times so that her health, as well as her infant’s health, can be closely monitored. The typical OB-GYN or midwife knows how to recognize a pregnancy that is progressing in a healthy manner versus signs of potential trouble for a mother or her baby. There are several birth conditions that merit specialized treatment because they place mothers and babies at risk for birth injuries.  

Low levels of amniotic fluid are a sign of trouble 

The medical term “oligohydraminos” refers to a birth condition where the level of fluid in the amniotic sac is lower than the minimum that would be expected at a particular stage in pregnancy for a healthy mother and child. It can occur if there has been a premature rupture of membranes. It can also signal problems with the placenta. Babies are at risk for preterm delivery and fetal distress when this condition is present. 

Additional issues that cause potential birth problems 

There are several more birth conditions that require close monitoring and, perhaps, specific actions on the part of an OB-GYN or midwife to help a mother and child stay safe throughout labor and delivery:  

  • Infant is not growing or gaining weight 
  • Maternal hypertension 
  • Pregnancy has exceeded due date 
  • Meconium present in amniotic fluid when membranes rupture 

In some cases, an emergency cesarean section might be necessary.  

Failure to diagnose and medical negligence can cause birth injuries 

If an OB-GYN or midwife fails to diagnose birth conditions that the typical medical professional in the same field or practice would be able to recognize, it could mean serious trouble for a mother or her infant. Sadly, medical negligence is often the direct cause of birth injuries in California and throughout the country. Many families who have been adversely affected by such issues have sought restitution for damages by filing personal injury claims in civil court.