Many people are familiar with the terms “personal injury law” or “personal injury attorney,” but what does this mean in practice? Personal injury has a wide definition that can cover nearly any circumstance where a person is harmed and seeking compensation. Here are some of the different types of personal injury cases that are pursued in California and throughout the U.S.:
- Car injuries: Driving is one of the most dangerous things individuals do on a day-to-day basis, so naturally, injuries resulting from collisions are among the most common personal injury cases. Typically, the defendant in this type of case is an insurance company, but it can also be the driver at fault.
- Slip-and-fall accidents: When slip-and-fall accidents occur, injured parties may have a case against the property owner where they were injured. State laws will play a role in whether a property owner meets the criteria to be held responsible in a slip-and-fall case.
- Workplace injuries: Injuries at certain workplaces, like construction sites, are sometimes the focus of personal injury cases. A lot of these incidents are covered by workers’ compensation, but there are certain cases that may require different or additional legal efforts.
- Products liability: Defective products can sometimes cause injuries. Common offenders are food, cosmetics, children’s toys and mechanical devices. When this happens, injured parties may seek compensation from the manufacturer.
- Medical malpractice: This is a very sensitive type of personal injury that can cause serious hardship for victims. This can be a challenging type of personal injury case as unfavorable medical outcomes do not necessarily mean malpractice. Therefore, it is very important to review the details of the case with an experienced lawyer.
Accidents and injuries can happen to anyone, no matter how careful they are on a day-to-day basis. When such incidents occur, victims can face significant costs and losses. As such, individuals hurt in an accident should speak with a California personal injury lawyer to ensure the best odds of receiving the maximum amount of compensation to which they are entitled.